16 June 2012

A new creed

I gave up religion a few years ago.
Long, long story.

Also, I like American Chinese food.
And I like our little neighborhood take away,
and the people who own it.

The fortune cookies that they randomly
throw in with your order
aren't usually fortunes. They're more like
good thoughts. And some of them
might even improve your mind
and your life, if you let them.

This one, which I got the other day,
I give 20 stars out of 10.
It's that good.

So good in fact, that I'd like to
adopt it as a creed.
Something to try to live by.

It aligns with my liberal sense that
my time here is not just about me.
For me, it's about 'us'.
Community.

A lot of people don't see it that way.

I tried to take an artsy kind of photo
of this fortune cookie.



Sounds like a good creed to me.

2 comments:

  1. And so it is but I don't see it being widely practiced.
    Be the change you want to see in the world. ~Gandi

    I too like American Chinese Food. My bride makes American southern fried Chinese food and is quite good at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "American southern fried Chinese food" is a new thought for me, Oldfool! But if it's tasty and SWMBO delivers an enjoyable repast, then it's all good!

    I figure that even if someone is a bit of a recluse/homebody like me who doesn't work outside our apartment, and I don't belong to any social groups, ie church, organisation, or club, I still have an inner philosophy which, even as it is tweaked throughout my life, informs my thoughts and my actions. I don't treat workers I come into contact with at the grocery or a restaurant or retail stores as if they are a 'servant class'.

    I'm not the activist type, so I'm not sure if I'm actually changing the world. But I do think that how one person treats others makes even a small difference, like that butterfly who affects the flow of the wind. I try not to mess up other people's days too badly. :)

    Unlike some politicians and Wall Street moguls, whose sense of 'community' boggles my mind daily.

    ReplyDelete