25 December 2011

For better and for less than that


Christmas day, Sunday, 25 December 2011. It is a quiet morning.

New morning, new blog.

I am typing with the eraser of a pencil this morning, one key at a time, Caps Lock on, then Caps Lock off as I go. I started having neck pain on this past Tuesday afternoon, which got worse on Wednesday, and on Thursday it moved down to include my shoulders as well. I have never had this kind of shoulder pain before. So inflammed and I can barely move my right shoulder, and the left is much worse and useless right now.

I finished up with the laundry on Tuesday morning before all this pain started. I wanted to get the laundry done early so it would be a quick job to pack for friday's drive to spend the whole holidays week with our two sons. When whatever is causing all this pain hit my shoulders, too, I became almost useless. That did not make me a happy camper.

Friday morning, husband Wes, was able to work from home and packed stuff up as he could. I may have been a little, um, grumpy and emotional during all that. Frustrated with my incapacity to do what I should be doing. But Wes dealt with my occassional loud outbursts and bouts of crying, and we got through. He loaded up the car, which isn't a picnic as we live in an upstairs apartment. And I'm usually our long distance driver, but he drove the 200+ miles.

So here we are at the house the two brothers share. This pic is from Chritmas day 2010 when we were here and they got a dusting of snow. This year it is sunny with no snow.



By the way, I know I should have called the doctor about this pain business, but Iam not one to run to the doctor everytime something happens, and I really expected this to resolve itself after a couple of days. Ha! More fool me. I am unable to lie down now without incurring more pain, so have been sitting and sleeping (fitfully) on their desk chairs. They even bought me a memory foam pillow on one of their shopping trips at WalMart (yes, soul-stealing WalMart) yesterday so my butt would have it a little easier. Anyway...

My three men, ages 58, 33, and 26, have been been so very patient with me and helping me a thousand ways. Here we all are last Christmas. Wes, Oliver, Eileen and David. They can make me laugh like nobody else can. They are the best.


So today the men will cook the meal I would have, Chicken Bubble-Up, with rice and green beans (not the casserole kind) on the side. I will cheer them on from the side.

I'm enjoying our moments together in spite of the pain, and am looking forward to a week of family time. Game playing and movie watching and other fun and often strange things. :)

Peace to the whole human race and to all the creatures with whom we share this beautiful small planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment